This chicken with charred green tomatoes is an easy, delicious, and flavorful weeknight dinner. You will love this chicken with green tomatoes recipe!
This chicken with charred green tomatoes is so easy to prepare. The best part about it is the chicken-fat charred green tomatoes.
For this recipe, I simply fry chicken thighs until crispy and then bake them in the oven until they are cooked through. I transfer them to a warm platter and then I add my green tomatoes to the hot chicken fat over high heat until charred on both sides. It only takes a minute or so per side to char them.
I also added sliced Serrano pepper to the skillet to very quickly fry them to release some of the heat and served the plate scattered with a few quick-fried sliced peppers.
To accompany this recipe, I served green tomatoes another way: as a warm salsa verde.
While my chicken is cooking, I simmer the following:
- 3-4 tomatillos
- Large, quartered green tomato
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1 minced shallot
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
I allow these ingredients to simmer and bubble away in chicken stock for approximately 20-25 minutes. Once everything is softened and cooked down, I blend it with an immersion blender and season it with salt and pepper. You can use a traditional blender or a food processor if you don’t have an immersion blender!
To plate this dish, I spooned my warm salsa verde into shallow bowls and arranged the charred green tomatoes on top and placed a chicken thigh on top. Finally, I scattered with the Serrano pepper slices.
You can serve this chicken with rice, roasted cauliflower, or even creamy corn grits if you like but we enjoyed it just as it was.
Overall, we loved this recipe and it was a great way to cook off the summer cooking season. It’s an acidic, spicy, and vibrant dish while the chicken fat adds really good salty, rich flavors to the tomatoes.
What’s your favorite summery recipe? Tell me in the comments!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Chicken with Charred Green Tomatoes
- Immersion blender or food processor
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon neutral cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large green tomato sliced into 6 rounds
- 1 Serrano pepper optional, trimmed and thinly sliced
Green Tomato Salsa Verde
- 1 shallot peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon neutral cooking oil
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 large green tomato cored and quartered
- 4 tomatillos husks removed, tomatillos washed and quartered
- 1 Serrano pepper trimmed and halved
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the Tomatoes:
- Place the tomato rounds on a paper towel lined plate. Season all over with a bit of sea salt. Place more paper towels on top to absorb excess moisture. Set aside until needed.
Cook the Chicken:
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Heat the neutral cooking oil in the skillet over medium-high until very hot. Pat the chicken dry and season all over with salt and pepper.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chicken, skin-side down, and cook without moving for 5-6 minutes until crispy and golden brown. Transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer reaches 165ºF.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and carefully return the skillet to the stovetop. Transfer the chicken to a platter and keep warm.
Prepare the Green Tomato Salsa Verde:
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the green tomato salsa verde.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a saucepan and add the shallot. Cook for 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook for 45 seconds.
- Add the tomatillos, quartered green tomato, Serrano pepper, and the chicken stock.Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or food processor, pulse the mixture until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
Fry the Tomatoes:
- Carefully drain off all but 1 tablespoon of fat in the skillet.
- Turn the heat on the skillet to medium high. Add the butter.
- Once melted and frothy, pat the tomatoes dry once more and place into the skillet and cook without moving for 2-3 minutes or until the tomatoes begin to char. Flip and cook an additional 1-3 minutes. Add the sliced Serrano pepper, if using, and cook for 45 seconds. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the warm salsa verde between shallow plates and place a tomato round on top. Place a chicken thigh on each dish and scatter the sliced Serrano pepper on top, if using. Enjoy!
Pin this Chicken with Charred Green Tomatoes for Later!