This crispy chicken with stewed mushrooms is easy, flavorful, and loaded with delicious spice thanks to a jar of Oliverio peppers and tomatoes.
I absolutely love easy, flavorful dinners and I love finding ways to make creative dishes with limited ingredients. This chicken stew with mushrooms is all of that and more.
My wildcard ingredient in this dish was a jar of Oliverio hot peppers and tomatoes. I picked up a jar when I was in West Virginia last year with my parents. Since my dad grew up in West Virginia, we’ve always stocked up on these peppers and tomatoes when we would visit. Although these peppers and tomatoes do, admittedly, taste best on a warm pepperoni roll, they work fabulously in this chicken and stewed mushrooms.
What if you can’t find Oliverio peppers? Not to worry! Use a 15-ounce can of diced or crushed tomatoes, a cup of diced roasted red peppers, and plenty of crushed red pepper.
How to Make this Crispy Chicken with Stewed Mushrooms:
Making this recipe is a breeze. Start by browning skin-on chicken thighs until the skin is very crispy. Take them out of the pot and add an onion and cook until just beginning to soften. Add a little butter and plenty of sliced mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms for about 10-12 minutes or until they become very well-browned.
Add stock or water to the pot along the peppers and tomatoes and bring to a boil for about 5 minutes or until the sauce reduces a bit. Add the chicken back to the pot and transfer it all the oven until the chicken is cooked through. That’s it! While the chicken bakes, you can prepare a side dish, like rice, potatoes or sautéed green beans.
Looking for more chicken recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Crispy Chicken with Stewed Mushrooms
- Wide pot
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter optional
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 16 ounce jar Oliverio peppers and tomatoes see note
- ½ cup fresh parsley minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked white rice for serving, optional
Cook the Chicken:
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Heat the oil in a wide pot over medium-high heat. Pat the chicken dry and season all over with salt and pepper. Place in the pot, skin-side down, and cook for 5-6 minutes or until the skin is golden brown and crispy. Flip and cook 1-2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
Cook the Onion:
- Add the onion to the pot and cook for 4-5 minutes until softened.
Cook the Mushrooms:
- Melt the butter into the pot. Once melted and frothy, add the mushrooms and cook for 10-15 minutes until the mushrooms release their liquid and the liquid evaporates and the mushrooms turn deep golden brown. Season with salt, pepper, and dry thyme and toss to coat.
Simmer the Stewed Mushrooms:
- Pour in the chicken stock and peppers and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the liquid reduces slightly. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Bake the Chicken:
- Arrange the chicken on top of the mushrooms and transfer to the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF. If desired, turn on the broiler for the last two minutes to crisp up the skin again.
Cook the Rice:
- While the chicken bakes, cook the rice according to package instructions or prepare your favorite side dish, such as buttered noodles, boiled potatoes, or sautéed green beans.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and sprinkle with parsley. If serving with rice, spoon the mushrooms over the rice and place the chicken on top. Garnish with a touch more parsley. Enjoy!
Pin this Crispy Chicken with Stewed Mushrooms for Later!