Okay, this might end up being your new favorite stir-fry recipe.
I love this chicken stir-fry recipe because it allows you to use up parts of vegetables that are normally thrown away to create a delicious stock that we re-use for the rice.
This simple chicken stir-fry with mushrooms is fragrant, sweet, spicy, filling, and absolutely delicious, and easy to prepare. Although this simple chicken stir-fry with mushrooms is what I would consider an easy-level recipe, it does require a touch more effort than some chicken stir-fry recipes I’ve seen, but it is well worth it!
For this simple chicken stir-fry with mushrooms, I boil boneless skinless chicken thighs in water with shiitake mushroom stems, garlic, and the white parts of scallions to create a simple and aromatic chicken broth. The broth is then used to cook the rice. This allows you to use all of the ingredients without too much waste.
Simple Chicken Stir-Fry with Mushrooms
- Medium pot
- Small saucepan
- Wok or large skillet
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons black vinegar or seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1-1½ pounds chicken dark or white meat, boneless skinless
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 8 scallions divided
- 5 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small yellow onion
- 8 ounces fresh green beans
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, prepare the vegetables for the stock. Remove the stems from the shiitake mushrooms and rinse and set aside. Trim off the white and light green parts of the scallions and set aside with the shiitake stems. Peel and lightly smash the garlic cloves.
Cook the Chicken:
- In a medium pot, cover the chicken with water and then add the shiitake stems, garlic cloves, and the white and light green parts of the scallions. Add a liberal shake of salt to the water. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium and cook for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is completely cooked through.
- Using tongs, remove the chicken from the water and transfer to a bowl. Drain 2 cups of the stock into a glass, heat-proof measuring cup and then discard the solids.
Prepare the Remaining Ingredients:
- While the chicken is cooking, finish preparing the remaining ingredients. Slice the shiitake caps. Mince the dark green parts of the scallions. Peel the onion and cut into thin wedges. Trim the green beans and cut in half.
Prepare the Sauce:
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce and whisk to combine. Taste and adjust the ingredients to your taste preference. Add the minced scallion greens and stir to combine. Set aside.
Cook the Rice:
- Add the warm stock to a small saucepan along with the rice and 1 tablespoon butter. Season with salt and bring to a boil. Stir once, reduce heat, and cover for 15 minutes until fluffy. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
Prepare the Chicken:
- While the rice is cooking, prep the chicken for the stir-fry. Carefully shred the chicken with two forks and season with soy sauce and sesame oil and toss to combine. Set aside. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
Prepare the Stir-Fry:
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a wok or skillet over medium-high until very hot. First, add the onions and cook for 5 minutes until beginning to brown. Next, add the sliced shiitake caps and cook, stirring regularly until well-browned, about 6-7 minutes more.
- Add the green beans and cook until bright green and tender-crisp. Season very lightly with salt. Transfer the veggies to a bowl.
- Add the chicken to the hot skillet and cook without moving until beginning to brown and crisp up in spots, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat to high and once very, very hot, add the sauce, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom. Reduce heat and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Return the vegetables back to the pot and toss to coat. Remove from heat.
- Divide the cooked rice between bowls and pile the stir fry on top. Enjoy!