A wide pot with a lid
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 shallot peeled and minced
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 14.5-ounce cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 4-ounce cod fillets
- 1 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh dill roughly chopped, a pinch reserved for garnish
- 1 lemon juiced and zest, a pinch of zest reserved for garnish
- Salt pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil optional, for serving
Cook the shallot:
In a wide pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the minced shallot and cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes or until beginning to soften and brown.
Prepare the broth:
Add the vegetable stock to the shallot and turn the heat to high. Bring to a low boil and cook for 4-5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Taste and season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.
Stir in beans and reduce heat to low to gently simmer. Add the fish, cover the pot, and poach for 5-8 minutes or until the fish is cooked through and completely opaque but not overcooked. Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove the fish from the broth and transfer to a plate and cover with foil.
Finish the broth:
Stir the parsley, dill, lemon juice, and lemon zest into the beans and broth. Cook for 3-4 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Taste and season according to your taste.
Calories: 287kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 501mg | Potassium: 653mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1769IU | Vitamin C: 41mg | Calcium: 179mg | Iron: 6mg