Strainer or sieve
Broth and Noodles:
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil for frying
- 1 yellow onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1-3 Thai chili peppers trimmed and minced (adjust quantity based on spice preference)
- 4 scallions white parts minced, green parts thinly sliced on an angle
- 2 tablespoons Thai curry paste red, green, or yellow
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or less, depending on preference
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 ounces vermicelli noodles
- Salt and pepper to taste
Shrimp and Vegetables:
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined, tails discarded or kept on depending on preference
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt optional
- 1 bunch tatsoi or 4 heads baby bok choy, halved lengthwise
Cook the Broth Aromatics:
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until just beginning to turn translucent.
Add the garlic, Thai chili pepper, and minced white parts of the scallions and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Add the curry paste and lightly mash it into the oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
Marinate the Shrimp:
In a bowl, combine the lime juice, avocado oil, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and sesame oil and whisk to combine. Add the shrimp and tomatoes to the bowl. Sprinkle with a ¼ teaspoon salt. Toss to coat. Transfer to the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Cook the Noodles:
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook according to package instructions (typically 2-4 minutes for vermicelli). Drain and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Set aside. If needed, refresh the noodles with cold water before serving but if you time it correctly, they should only be sitting in the strainer for a few minutes.
Broil the Shrimp:
Turn the broiler on. Pour the shrimp and excess marinade onto the sheet pan and arrange the shrimp and tomatoes in an even layer on half the sheet pan. Place the tatsoi on the other half of the sheet pan and sprinkle with salt and add a drizzle of oil.
Transfer the sheet pan to the oven and broil for 4-5 minutes until the shrimp are just cooked through and the tatsoi is charred and the tomatoes have just begun the split open.
Calories: 542kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 13g | Sodium: 2211mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin C: 44mg