- ½ cup Calabrian peppers in oil more or less to taste
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and thinly sliced into half-moons
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme crushed between fingers lightly
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar optional
- 3 cups chicken or seafood stock
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 pound scallops side muscle removed
- 1½ cups dry orzo
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon dry parsley
- Flaky sea salt optional
Cook the Aromatics:
Heat the oil in a wide pot over medium-high heat. Add the yellow onion and cook for 5-7 minutes until it just begins to soften.
Add the garlic and dry thyme and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter into the garlic. Once frothy, Add the Calabrian chili paste and cook for 1 minute more.
Simmer the Broth:
Add the crushed tomatoes and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes until thickened. Sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cook the Shrimp and Scallops:
Once the broth has simmered, cook the shrimp and scallops. Bring the broth to a bubbling simmer.
Pat the scallops and shrimp dry and season all over with salt and pepper. Add them to the broth. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Turn off the heat.
Prepare the Parsley-Lemon Oil:
Calories: 561kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 48g | Fat: 18g | Sodium: 1573mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin C: 26mg