Large wok or pot
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil plus more as needed
- 2 shallots peeled and sliced into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2-3 Thai chili peppers minced
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 4 ounces maitake mushrooms torn
- 2 red bell peppers trimmed, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 12 ounces fresh green beans cut in half
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce more to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian fish sauce or use regular, more to taste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar more to taste
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil more to taste
- 1 ounce Thai basil leaves
- 2 scallions minced, optional for serving
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook the white rice:
In a small pot, combine the white rice and water and turn the heat to medium-high. Add salt. Once the water boils, reduce heat, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the rice to rest as you finish the pad krapow.
Cook the pad krapow aromatics:
Heat avocado oil over medium heat in a large wok. Once hot, add the shallots and cook for 3-5 minutes until they soften.
Add the garlic and Thai chili peppers and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Remove the aromatics from the wok and transfer to a bowl.
Cook the mushrooms:
Add a touch more oil, if needed. Once hot, add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 8-9 minutes until they begin to soften and brown.
Sauté the red bell pepper:
Prepare the sauce:
Combine the soy sauce, vegetarian fish sauce, brown sugar, and sesame oil in a bowl. Add the sauce to the wok and allow it to bubble for 1-2 minutes to dissolve the sugar. Toss to coat.
Finish the pad krapow:
Return all the vegetables–bell peppers, mushrooms, and aromatics–to the wok along with the Thai basil leaves. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Taste and season to your preferences.
Calories: 311kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 1029mg | Potassium: 604mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 2528IU | Vitamin C: 93mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 2mg