- 2½ cups water or stock
- 1 cup black lentils rinsed
- 2 teaspoons neutral oil for frying
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 5 ounces shiitake mushrooms caps sliced, stems discarded
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1-2 Thai chili peppers trimmed and minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A few cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 2 red radishes trimmed and thinly sliced into rounds
- Sambal oolek optional
Cook the Mushrooms:
While the lentils cook, prepare the mushrooms. Heat the avocado oil in a skillet over medium-high. Add the diced onion and cook, stirring often, for 6-7 minutes until it just begins to turn golden brown.
Add the mushrooms and cook for an additional 7-8 minutes. Season lightly with salt.
Once the mushrooms begin to brown around the edges, add the garlic and Thai chili pepper and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the soy sauce and sesame oil and toss to coat. Cook for 2 minutes more. Turn off the heat.
Finish the Black Lentils:
Calories: 593kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 194mg | Sodium: 1183mg | Potassium: 421mg | Fiber: 23g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 612IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 114mg | Iron: 9mg