- 2 pounds large shrimp peeled and deveined (shells reserved)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Amarillo paste or omit, if you can't find this
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed red pepper more or less to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 cups water
- 2 teaspoons neutral cooking oil
- 1 shallot peeled and finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 pints fresh cherry Roma, or San Marzano tomatoes (or use 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes)
- 2 15- ounce cans cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika optional, but delicious
- 2 tablespoons Amarillo paste optional
- More crushed red pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves finely chopped
- A few splashes of heavy cream optional
Prepare the Shrimp Stock:
In a soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat until melted and frothy. Add the shrimp shells and mash them with a spoon for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Pour in the water. Once the water begins to barely boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl and discard the shrimp shells. Carefully wipe out the soup pot and return to the stove.
Prepare the Crushed Tomatoes (Skip if using canned tomatoes):
Cover the tomatoes with water in a medium pot. Bring to a boil. Once the skins begin to split, transfer them to an ice bath. Once the tomatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and discard the skins. Transfer to a bowl and crush them with your hands.
Cook the Soup:
Heat the neutral cooking oil in the soup pot over medium heat until hot. Add the shallot and cook for 2-3 minutes until beginning to turn golden brown and soften. Add the garlic and cook for 45 seconds until fragrant. Add the tomatoes, beans, and reserved shrimp stock (you might need to discard like half a cup, of the stock depending on how full the pot is). Bring to a low boil and season with the paprika, smoked paprika, the Amarillo paste, and more crushed red pepper if you want it a bit spicier. Taste and add a bit more salt and pepper, if needed. Cook over a low boil 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
Calories: 404kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 47g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 475mg | Sodium: 1860mg | Potassium: 261mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1001IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 389mg | Iron: 8mg