- 1 tablespoon neutral cooking oil
- 1 pound ground meat boar, bison, beef, or turkey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms trimmed and sliced
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds yellow, black, or both, optional
- 4 carrots peeled and small-diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 14.5- ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28- ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder more or less to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander optional
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice plus lemon wedges
- Cooked rice
Prepare the Spice Mixture:
Cook the Meat:
In a wide sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the ground meat and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until well-browned all over and completely cooked through. Season with half the spice mixture and salt and pepper and toss to coat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked meat to a large bowl.
Sauté the Vegetables:
Add the butter to the pan over medium heat. Once melted and frothy, add the diced onion and cook for 4-5 minutes until softened.
Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring regularly, for 8-10 minutes until they release and re-absorb their liquid. They should be well-browned. Do not season with salt and pepper until after they've browned.
Add the mustard seeds along with the carrots and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
Prepare the Stew Base:
Return the cooked meat to the pan and toss to combine. Sprinkle the flour over all the ingredients in the pan and toss to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the flour begins to turn golden brown.
Whisk in the chicken stock, scraping up browned bits at the bottom of the pan as you incorporate the stock. Bring to a boil.
Finish the Stew:
Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, chickpeas, sugar, and the remaining spice mix. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep the stew from sticking.
Calories: 497kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 26g | Sodium: 1039mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin C: 23mg