- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 spring garlic stalks trimmed and thinly sliced (or use 1 head of garlic, minced)
- 2 shallots peeled and minced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg more or less to taste
- 16 ounces store-bought tortellini
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup freshly minced parsley for serving
- Extra virgin olive oil optional, for serving
Pickled Mustard Seeds:
- ¼ cup yellow mustard seeds
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup water more as needed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
Prepare the Mustard Seeds:
Combine all ingredients for the pickled mustard seeds in a small saucepan. Bring to a low boil, stir, and then reduce heat to very low and simmer for 45 minutes. Add splashes of water as necessary to keep the mustard seeds just submerged and stir occasionally.
Transfer the pickled mustard to seeds and liquid to a bowl and set aside at room temperature until ready to serve.
Note: Leftover pickled mustard seeds should be stored in an airtight container and will last for months in the fridge.
Prepare the Soup:
As the pickled mustard seeds are simmering, prepare the soup. Melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the sliced garlic and minced shallots. Cook, stirring often, for 3-5 minutes or until fragrant and beginning to soften.
Add the vegetable stock and nutmeg, to taste, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to very low and simmer for 40 minutes as the pickled mustard seeds continue to cook.
Calories: 578kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 21g | Sodium: 653mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin C: 2mg