- 4 ounces pancetta diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 head of garlic peeled and minced
- 1 large shallot peeled and minced
- 1 red Fresno chili pepper trimmed and minced (seeds removed, if desired)
- 8 ounces mixed fresh mushrooms oyster, baby bella, or shiitake, chopped
- 1 pound campari tomatoes quartered
- 2 tablespoons sweet vermouth or white wine or chicken stock
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 16 ounces spaghetti or linguine
- ½ cup reserved pasta cooking water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of sugar to taste
- Freshly minced parsley optional, for garnish
Prepare the Pancetta:
Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. To a wide sauté pan, add the diced pancetta and turn the heat to medium. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until all the fat has rendered. Remove the pancetta with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl.
Prepare the Sauce Base:
Melt the butter over medium heat in the rendered pancetta fat. Add the minced garlic, shallot, and chili pepper and cook for about 1 minute or until fragrant.
Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are well-browned, about 7-8 minutes. Adjust the heat as necessary to avoid burning the garlic.
Pour in the sweet vermouth and scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
Add the quartered tomatoes and cook for 5-7 minutes more or until beginning to soften. Season everything with salt and pepper to taste.
Calories: 619kcal | Carbohydrates: 90g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 268mg | Potassium: 630mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1130IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 2mg