Sieve or colander
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots peeled and diced
- ¼ cup jarred Calabrian peppers or use as many or as few peppers as you like depending on your heat tolerance
- 8 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Calabrian hot honey plus more for serving
- 2 15- ounce cans cherry tomatoes or use diced tomatoes or whole-peeled tomatoes
- ¼ cup water
- .5 ounces basil divided
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 10 ounces mozzarella from a mozzarella log divided
- 16 ounces tubular pasta such as paccheri rigatoni, or penne
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mince the peppers and garlic:
Cook the peppers and garlic:
Finish the sauce:
Taste the sauce and season to your preferences. Add half the basil leaves to the sauce along with the baby spinach and stir until wilted. Add the diced mozzarella to the sauce and toss to combine.
Pour in the reserved pasta cooking water along with the cooked pasta and toss to coat. Turn off the heat.
Broil the pasta:
Turn the broiler on. Arrange the mozzarella rounds on top of the pasta and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Transfer to the broiler and broil until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown, about 5-6 minutes, depending on your broiler.
Calories: 623kcal | Carbohydrates: 84g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 20g | Sodium: 539mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin C: 20mg