9x13 Baking Dish
- 1 pound challah or brioche bread cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 sweet onions peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 ribs celery with leaves trimmed and small-diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary minced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 teaspoons fig miso or white miso
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking spray or butter for greasing the baking dish
Dry out the bread:
Preheat oven to 200ºF. Arrange the diced bread on a baking sheet and transfer to the oven for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, grease a 9x13 baking dish.
Remove the bread from the oven and transfer to the prepared baking dish. Turn the heat on the oven to 350ºF.
Caramelize the onions:
Heat the oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until they just begin to deepen in color. Sprinkle with salt and reduce heat to medium-low. Continue cooking for 30 minutes or until the onions begin to caramelize. Stir them occasionally, but don't disturb them too often or else they won't caramelize.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter into the onions and sprinkle the sugar on top. Continue cooking for 10–15 minutes until they are fully caramelized.
Spoon half of the onions into a bowl and pour the remaining half over the diced bread and toss gently to distribute them evenly.
Calories: 251kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 12g | Sodium: 273mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin C: 4mg