- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 3 small leeks white and light green parts only
- 4 carrots peeled and small-diced
- 2 tablespoons butter optional
- ⅔ cup white rice
- 6 cups water or vegetable stock
- A few splashes of heavy cream optional
- 1 cup sharp cheddar freshly grated; plus more for serving
- Minced chives optional, for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the leeks:
Remove the tough leafy greens from the leeks and discard. Trim off and discard the roots of the leeks. Slice the bodies of the leek in half lengthwise and rinse under cold water. Peel back the layers to scrub out all of the dirt. Once clean, slice the leeks into thin slices crosswise. You may wish to rinse the slices under cold water again to ensure any grit and dirt have been removed.
Toast the rice:
If using, melt the butter into the pot and add the rice. Cook the rice in the melted butter, tossing to coat, for 1–2 minutes until it toasts slightly.
Calories: 358kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 22g | Sodium: 272mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin C: 4mg