Sieve or colander
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil divided
- 2 red bell peppers trimmed, deseeded, and quartered
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage loose
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion peeled and minced
- 1–2 teaspoons crushed red pepper more or less depending on preference
- ½ teaspoon fennel pollen optional
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup beef stock
- 28- ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 16 ounces tagliatelle, pappardelle, or rigatoni
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Minced parsley optional, for serving
Roast the red bell peppers:
Preheat oven to 450ºF.
Arrange the peppers, skin-side down, on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil. Season with salt and transfer to the oven for 20–25 minutes or until the skins are charred and blistered.
If desired, remove the skins from the peppers and transfer them to a food processor with the garlic cloves. Pulse until blended and set aside.
Calories: 683kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 36g | Sodium: 815mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin C: 67mg