- 1 tablespoon butter or neutral oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne more or less to taste
- 1 cup white rice
- 14.5- ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2¼ cup water or vegetable stock
- 2 scallions trimmed and minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook the aromatics:
Melt the butter into a 4-quart pot over medium-high heat. Once bubbly, add the diced onion and cook for 5–7 minutes until it just softens.
Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Bloom the spices:
Add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, and cayenne and cook, stirring into the aromatics, for 1 minute until fragrant.
Finish the black beans and rice:
Calories: 285kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 417mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin C: 7mg