- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 1 fennel bulb trimmed, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper trimmed, seeded, and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons dry rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dry thyme
- ¼ cup fresh parsley minced
- 3 scallions white and light green parts, separated
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins or breasts cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 pound skin-on bone-in chicken thighs
- 8 cups water
- 1 ¼ cup dry orzo
- 1 lemon juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fennel fronds
- Minced parsley
Cook the aromatics:
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and fennel and cook for 6–8 minutes until just beginning to soften. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute—season with salt and pepper.
Prepare the herbs:
Place the white parts of the scallions in a food processor along with the rosemary, thyme, and parsley and pulse until minced. Alternatively, mince the scallions and combine with the rosemary, thyme, and parsley in a mortar and pestle and mixed until completely crushed.
Bloom the herbs:
Melt the butter into the pot of aromatics. Once bubbly, add the minced scallion whites, rosemary, thyme, and parsley—cook for 1 minute.
Simmer the soup:
Add the water to the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Skim the surface of the soup occasionally to remove any foam or scum that floats to the top—taste and season to your preferences.
Shred the chicken thighs:
Calories: 346kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 14g | Sodium: 154mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin C: 56mg