2 Large pots
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 shallot quartered
- 1 head of garlic halved crosswise
- 3" piece of ginger roughly chopped and smashed lightly with the back of your knife
- .25 ounce lemongrass tough outer layers discarded and then lightly smashed with your knife
- 6 scallions white parts only
- 10 cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 5–6 star anise pods
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt plus more if needed
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil divided
- 12 ounces rice noodles medium width
- 1 yellow onion peeled and sliced into half-moons
- 12 ounces mushrooms shiitake, cremini, or a mix
- 4 ounces blue oyster or maitake mushrooms torn
- 6 scallions greens only, minced
- Thai basil
- Sliced jalapeño
- Cilantro or micro cilantro
- Bean sprouts
- Lime wedges
Cook the broth aromatics:
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over high heat. Add the shallot, garlic, and ginger, cut side down and cook without moving for 3–4 minutes until the aromatics begin to char. Add the lemongrass and scallions and cook another minute or two.
Pour in the water and bring to a boil.
Toast the spices:
Place a small skillet on the stovetop over high heat. Add the cinnamon, cloves, star anise, and black peppercorns and cook, swirling the spices in the skillet for 1–2 minutes until very fragrant. Pour the hot spices directly into the boiling water and wipe out the skillet (you will need it for the mushrooms later on).
Prepare the soup:
Heat 1 tablespoon neutral oil in the soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onion and cook for 6–7 minutes. Add the 12 ounces mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 12–15 minutes—season with salt to taste.
Pour in the reserved stock and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer as you finish the rest of the soup ingredients.
Prepare the oyster mushrooms:
Ladle the hot broth over the noodles in each bowl. Pile the crispy oyster mushrooms on top and garnish them with Thai basil, scallions, jalapeño, and any desired garnish. Enjoy!
Calories: 256kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 11g | Sodium: 1798mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin C: 11mg