- 1 teaspoon neutral oil
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 fennel bulb cored and sliced, fronds reserved for garnish
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 3 ribs celery trimmed and diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic scapes or use 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup pearl couscous
- 6 cups water or chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook the aromatics:
Turn the heat on the pot to medium. Add the fennel, onion, and celery and cook for 7–8 minutes until softened and charred around the edges. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter into the aromatics. Once melted, add the thyme and garlic scapes (or powder) to the aromatics and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Simmer the pearl couscous:
Add the pearl couscous to the pot along with the cooked sausage. Pour in the water or stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until the pearl couscous is al dente—taste and season once more to your preferences.
Calories: 618kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 40g | Sodium: 890mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin C: 12mg