- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 pound sausage casings removed
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 2 7- ounce jars roasted red bell peppers 14 oz total
- 1 cup farro or pearled barley
- 15- ounce can white beans
- 3-4 cups water or chicken stock
- 4 ounces baby spinach
- Fresh basil for serving
- Basil olive oil for finishing optional
- Salt pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste
Cook the sausage and onion:
Heat the oil in a wide pot over medium-high. Add the sausage and cook for 8-10 minutes until golden brown and mostly cooked through.
Add the diced onion and cook an additional 5-10 minutes until just softened.
Prepare the roasted red peppers:
Simmer the stew:
Pour the puréed red peppers over the sausage and onion.
Add the farro, white beans, and 3 cups of water. Taste and season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Add the additional 1 cup of water only if needed.
Calories: 412kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 27g | Sodium: 600mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 9mg