Vegan Mushroom Noodle Soup
- 16 ounces noodles of your choice soba, udon, or chow mein
- 1 tablespoon neutral cooking oil
- 2 yellow onions peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger peeled and freshly minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms (cremini, shiitake, or a mix) sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing cooking wine (omit, if you can't find it)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce plus more, if desired
- 1 heaping tablespoon sambal oolek
- 6 scallions trimmed and minced, divided
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Microgreens, cilantro, or bean sprouts for garnish
- ⅓ cup neutral cooking oil
- 2'' piece of ginger peeled and sliced
- 2 shallots, peeled and quartered
Prepare the Broth:
In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon neutral cooking oil over medium heat until hot. Add the sliced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes until softened and beginning to brown.Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Add the sliced mushrooms to the pot and add the 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes or until the mushrooms begin to soften and darken around the edges.
Pour the vegetable stock into the pot and scrape up anything stuck to the bottom. Bring to a boil.
Stir in the Shaoxing cooking wine, soy sauce, and sambal oolek. Reduce heat to medium and cook over a low boil for about 20 minutes. Taste and season to your preferences.
Right before serving, stir in the baby spinach and half the minced scallions. Simmer over low heat until ready to serve.
Prepare the Ginger-Shallot Oil:
While the broth is cooking, prepare the ginger-shallot oil. Combine the oil, ginger, and shallots in a small saucepan and turn the heat to medium. Once the oil begins to bubble, turn the heat down to the lowest setting. Allow to cook in the oil for about 15 minutes or until the ginger and shallots begin to darken around the edges. Turn off the heat and allow the ginger and shallots to continue cooking in the hot oil.Stir the remaining half of the scallions into the saucepan and set aside.
Calories: 530kcal | Carbohydrates: 95g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 1103mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin C: 20mg