Wide, ovenproof skillet
Small pot with lid
- 4 chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on
- 1 teaspoon neutral cooking oil for frying
- 1 large fennel bulb halved, cored, and sliced into thin wedges, fronds reserved
- 1 yellow onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 zucchini trimmed and diced
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 6 ounces golden raisins
- Salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil optional, for serving
Prepare the Chicken:
Preheat oven to 425ºF. Pat the chicken dry and season all over and season with salt and pepper.
Heat 1 teaspoon neutral oil in a wide ovenproof skillet. Add the chicken – in batches if necessary–skin-side down. Cook without moving for 5 minutes or until the skin is very crispy and browned. Flip and cook 1-2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
Cook the Rice:
As the chicken bakes, prepare the rice. Combine the rice with 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon butter, and salt. Bring to a boil and add the golden raisins. Stir to combine. Cover, reduce heat to very low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave covered as you finish the rest of the recipe.
Finish the Vegetables:
Remove the chicken from the oven. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with foil. Turn the heat on the skillet to medium-high. Add the diced zucchini to the pan along with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring often, until the zucchini is bright green and tender. Turn off the heat.
Calories: 666kcal | Carbohydrates: 81g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 28g | Sodium: 215mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin C: 28mg