- 1 tablespoon neutral cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and minced
- 4 stalks celery small-diced
- 4 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 3 heaping tablespoons harissa paste
- 4 cups vegetable stock plus more as necessary
- 28 ounce can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes medium-diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen fava beans
- 10 ounces fresh green beans trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly minced parsley
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Dry harissa powder optional
Cook the Aromatics:
In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the diced onion, celery, and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-12 minutes or until the onion and celery begin to turn golden brown and soften.
Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Season the aromatics with salt and pepper.
Prepare the Harissa Base:
Add the harissa to the pot and coat the vegetables in the paste. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the harissa begins to deepen in color.
Pour in the vegetable stock and scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pot.
Assemble the Harissa Vegetable Soup:
After the vegetable stock, add the canned tomatoes along with the potatoes. Season with the dry spices – paprika, parsley, and thyme – and with an additional shake of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are just barely fork-tender.
Finish the Soup:
If the soup seems too thick, add a bit more stock. Next, add the frozen vegetables along with the fresh green beans and simmer an additional 15-20 minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked through. Taste and season to your preferences.
Calories: 280kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 266mg | Potassium: 1457mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 7991IU | Vitamin C: 47mg | Calcium: 117mg | Iron: 4mg