9x12 Casserole dish
- 2 teaspoons neutral cooking oil
- 2 bell peppers trimmed, deseeded, and diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper trimmed and diced
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon guajillo chili powder optional
- 15 ounces canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 14.5 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1½ cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- ½ cup crema or sour cream or heavy cream
- ½ cup shredded pepper jack or sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 corn tortillas cut into strips
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Sliced radishes
- Minced scallion
Brown the Turkey:
If the pot seems dry, add a little more oil. Add the turkey and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 7-8 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through.
Return the onions and peppers to the pan.
Season the turkey and aromatics with chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, and guajillo chili powder if using. Cook for 2 minutes more.
Finish the Casserole Filling:
Pour the stock into the pot and scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom. Add the black beans and crushed tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and more spices, if desired. Add the uncooked rice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally. Stir in the crema and turn off the heat.
Prepare the Crunchy Tortilla Strips:
Pour 1'' of vegetable oil into the skillet and turn the heat to medium. Once hot, add the tortilla strips in an even layer and cook for about 3 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown. Be careful not to burn them. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt immediately.
Garnish the Casserole:
Lightly crush the crunchy tortilla strips and sprinkle over the casserole. Garnish with the sliced radishes, cilantro leaves, and minced scallions. If desired, drizzle a tablespoon of crema on top. Enjoy!
Calories: 392kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 8g | Sodium: 543mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin C: 61mg