- 2 teaspoons neutral cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers deseeded, peeled (optional) and diced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 3 cups chicken stock more as needed
- 14.5 ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 14.5 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons guajillo chili powder optional
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder more or less to taste
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Fresh cilantro
- Crispy tortillas recipe follows
Sauté the Aromatics:
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the diced onion and cook for 6-7 minutes until it begins to turn golden brown and soften. Add the bell peppers and cook an additional 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 45 seconds or until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the pot and transfer to a bowl.
Cook the Turkey:
Add more oil to the pot, if needed, and add the ground turkey. Season with salt and pepper and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, for 12-15 minutes or until it's cooked through and well browned. Season with half the spice mixture and toss to combine.
Return the onions and peppers to the pot.
Simmer the Chili:
Pour in the chicken stock, black beans, and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the remaining spice mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Taste and season again to your preferences.
Make the Crunchy Tortillas (Optional):
Quarter 3 corn tortillas.
In a small pot, heat 1/2 cup neutral cooking oil over medium heat until hot.
Add the quartered tortillas and cook, turning occasionally, until crispy and browned, about 1-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and season with salt immediately.
Calories: 387kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 8g | Sodium: 886mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin C: 92mg