Fine mesh sieve
Large heat-proof bowl
- 3 pound chicken cut up or cut in half
- 3 tablespoons neutral cooking oil divided
- 1 large onion peeled; half cut into wedges, the other half thinly sliced
- 1 large piece of ginger thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cloves garlic lightly mashed
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 12 ounces shiitake mushroom caps thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and thinly sliced on an angle
- 3 scallions trimmed and minced, a pinch reserved for garnish
Cook the Stock:
Add the onion wedges, ginger slices, bay leaves, garlic, turmeric, coriander, and black peppercorns. Fill the pot with between 7-8 cups of water and season with salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and cook for about 30 minutes or until the thickest part of the chicken breast reads 160ºF.
Finish the Soup:
Wipe out the stockpot and heat the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the mushrooms and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the minced green onions, thinly sliced onions, and the carrots and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add the broth and reduce heat to a simmer. Add the chicken and cook for 1-2 minutes to reheat it.
Divide soup between bowls, and top with sliced green onions and a soft-boiled egg, if using. If serving with noodles, divide cooked noodles between bowls and top with the hot broth. Drizzle with a touch of chili oil if desired. Enjoy!
Calories: 521kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 36g | Sodium: 148mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin C: 10mg