- 2 teaspoons avocado oil plus more, as needed
- 1 pound carrots trimmed, scrubbed or peeled, and small-diced
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms trimmed and small-diced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- Salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon plant-based butter or avocado oil
- 1 cup arborio or carnaroli rice
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Salt, to taste
Herbed Almond Milk Ricotta:
- 8 ounces store-bought or homemade almond milk ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons water if necessary
- Flaky sea salt to taste
Start the Bolognese Sauce:
Heat the oil in a wide pot over medium heat. Add the carrots and onion and cook for 4-5 minutes until just beginning to soften.
Add the mushrooms and cook for 5-7 minutes more until the liquid begins to release. Add the garlic and cook for 45 seconds or until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper and crushed red pepper.
Simmer the Bolognese:
Add the whole peeled tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes until reduced slightly. The carrots should be very, very soft. Taste and season again, lightly, with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.
Prepare the Risotto:
Add the vegetable stock to a heat-proof measuring cup and microwave for 2-3 minutes until very hot. (Alternatively, simmer the stock in a small saucepan on the stove)
Heat the avocado oil or plant-based butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add the rice and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes until toasted.
Pour in 1/3 cup of the stock and bring to a boil and stir for 2-3 minutes. Continue adding stock and stirring regularly in 1/3 cup increments until all the stock has been added and the rice is al dente, about 16-20 minutes total. Once 90% of the liquid has been absorbed, turn off the heat and allow the rice to rest for 5 minutes.
Prepare the Almond Milk Herbed Ricotta:
In a bowl, combine the ricotta, minced parsley leaves, crushed red pepper, and a touch of salt. If the ricotta seems a little dry, add a splash or two of water and mix with a fork to combine. Set aside.
After the rice has rested, add a few spoonfuls of the Bolognese to the pot with the risotto and toss to combine.
Divide the risotto between bowls and pile more Bolognese sauce on top. Serve with a dollop of the almond milk herbed ricotta and more minced parsley leaves, if desired. Enjoy!
Calories: 423kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 8g | Sodium: 502mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin C: 34mg