- 1 pound pasta of your choice
- 2 teaspoons neutral oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 leeks trimmed, rinsed, and thinly sliced into rounds
- 1½ pounds cherry tomatoes or 1 or 2 15-ounce cans crushed or diced tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups vegetable stock more or less, as needed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper more or less, as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh minced parsley optional, for serving
Start the Sauce:
In a wide pot, heat the neutral oil over medium heat. Add the butter. Once frothy, add the leeks and cook for 5 minutes until just beginning to soften.
Add the tomatoes and turn the heat to medium-high. Once the tomatoes begin to blister and burst, add the garlic and stir, gently breaking up the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
Simmer the Sauce:
Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and season with crushed red pepper. Simmer for 25-30 minutes until thickened and reduced. If the sauce has too much liquid, turn the heat to a low boil to continue reducing it to a jammy consistency. Taste and season again to your preferences.
Calories: 555kcal | Carbohydrates: 101g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 9g | Sodium: 129mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin C: 45mg