- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons neutral cooking oil divided
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 '' piece of ginger cut into matchsticks
- 6 scallions white and green parts kept separate
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock divided
Coconut Curry Pumpkin:
- 2 shallots quartered or 1 yellow onion
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon butter optional
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder plus more to taste
- ⅓ cup coconut cream more or less if desired
- 2 limes juiced
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 Serrano pepper thinly sliced, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook the Chicken:
Preheat oven Pat the chicken dry and season all over with salt and pepper.
Heat 1 tablespoon neutral oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium-high. Add the chicken, skin-side down, and cook without moving for 5-7 minutes until the skin is very crispy. Flip and cook 1-2 minutes more. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
Prepare the Coconut Curry Pumpkin:
Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a saucepan. Add the shallots and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened.
Add the sweet potato and a little butter, if desired, and cook for 4-5 minutes until just beginning to turn golden. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the remaining chicken stock and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and add the pumpkin puree. Season with salt, pepper, cayenne powder, and curry powder. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the sweet potato is very tender.
Prepare the Herb Garnish:
In a food processor, combine the lime juice, cilantro, scallion greens, Serrano pepper, if using, and a sprinkle of salt. Pulse until finely chopped. Set aside.
Finish the Coconut Curry Pumpkin:
Calories: 563kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 35g | Sodium: 228mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin C: 49mg