This recipe for balsamic roasted Brussels sprouts is like the little black dress of your recipe closet. This Brussels sprouts recipe is unassuming but brings some instant glamor to your table. You’ll love how the flavor of Brussels sprouts and balsamic vinegar. It’s earthy, lightly sweet, and just a little tangy.
It’s so easy to make, and you need just a few ingredients:
- Brussels sprouts
- Shallot or small yellow onion
- Olive oil, for roasting
- Balsamic vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
How to make balsamic roasted Brussels sprouts:
- Step 1: Prep those sprouts. Trim off the root end and remove any gross outer leaves. I like to roast as many of the leaves with the sprouts as possible, so only discard the ones that are particularly gnarly looking. Halve the sprouts and set them aside.
- Step 2: Roast them up. Toss the sprouts and sliced shallot with olive oil. Arrange them on a baking sheet. Make sure the sprouts are cut-side down.
- Step 3: Cook the guanciale. Halfway through cooking, flip the sprouts. Throw the guanciale on top and toss to combine. Return to the oven until the sprouts are deeply roasted, and the guanciale is crisp.
- Step 4: Glaze it up! Mix together the brown sugar and balsamic vinegar and pour it on top of the sprouts. Return to the oven for 3–5 minutes.
Looking for more side dish recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe for Brussels sprouts and balsamic vinegar, leave me a comment below to let me know what you thought!
Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Baking sheet
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 shallot, peeled and sliced lengthwise into wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces guanciale
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves, optional, for serving
Prepare the Brussels sprouts:
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Trim off the root end of the Brussels sprouts and remove any gnarly outer leaves. Then, halve the sprouts and set them aside.
- Toss the halved sprouts and sliced shallot with olive oil on a baking sheet. Season all over with salt and pepper. Make sure the sprouts are cut-side down. Transfer to the oven for 8–10 minutes.
Cook the guanciale:
- Remove the Brussels sprouts from the oven. Add the guanciale to the baking sheet and toss to combine. Return to the oven for an additional 8–10 minutes or until the sprouts are deeply roasted, and the guanciale is crisp
Prepare the vinegar:
- In a bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Set aside.
Finish the Brussels sprouts:
- Pour the balsamic vinegar mixture on the sprouts and toss to coat. Return to the oven for 3–5 minutes.
- Transfer the roasted Brussels sprouts to a serving bowl. Arrange fresh basil on top. Enjoy!