These coconut curry turkey meatballs will be your new favorite quick dinner recipe. They are so moist, juicy, and flavorful thanks to lots of curry powder and plenty of coconut milk.
This recipe for turkey meatball curry is an amazing midweek recipe. The meatballs are easy to throw together, and they’re perfect for rice bowls or served with roasted vegetables.
If you’re looking for a quick dinner recipe, these coconut curry turkey meatballs are an absolute godsend. You only need a few ingredients to make them and you can serve them in so many different ways. Try serving them over saffron rice or with pita and roasted vegetables. You could also add a little more water or chicken broth to the pot along with vegetables like potatoes, carrots, and green beans and enjoy this has a hearty curry turkey meatball soup.
What spice blend should I use?
You can use your favorite masala or spice blend as the foundation for this curry sauce. I used Mirchi Masala from Spicemode. Mirchi, which means chilies, is a fiery, complex blend that. If you prefer warmer flavors, garam masala would be delicious. Your favorite Indian curry blend would also work perfectly in this dish.
How to make these turkey curry meatballs:
This recipe is as simple as mixing a few meatball ingredients in a bowl, frying them up, and then making a basic sauce.
For the meatballs, you only need a few ingredients, including:
- Ground turkey
- Panko, plus more as needed
- Heavy cream
- Finely minced red onion
- Mirchi masala
For the sauce, you just need sliced onion, mirchi masala, water, coconut milk, and finely minced cilantro. It really is such a simple meal!
Coconut Curry Turkey Meatballs
- Wide pot
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup panko plus more as needed
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely minced red onion; use the rest of the red onion for the sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirchi masala or your favorite garam masala or curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil for frying
- Neutral oil if needed
- Sliced red onion
- 2 teaspoons Mirchi masala
- ¼ cup water
- 14.5- ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
Prepare the meatballs:
- Combine turkey, eggs, panko, heavy cream, minced red onion, and Mirchi Masala in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix with your hands until combined.
- If the mixture seems loose, add a few more tablespoons of panko. You may need to add up to an additional ¼ cup of panko. Once the mixture is well-combined, form into tablespoon-sized meatballs. Set aside.
Cook the meatballs:
- Heat the neutral oil in a wide pot over medium heat. Add the meatballs in an even layer and cook for 3-5 minutes per side until golden brown. Transfer to a plate. Meatballs do NOT need to be cooked through.
Prepare the sauce:
- If the pot seems dry, add another teaspoon of oil and turn the heat to medium-high. Add the sliced red onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the mirchi masala to the onion and toss to coat. Once fragrant, add the water and bring it to a boil. Add the meatballs back to the pot and add the coconut milk. As soon as the coconut milk begins to bubble, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Spoon the meatballs and sauce over rice or serve with naan. Enjoy!