This cheddar rice soup with leeks is so creamy, cheesy, and so comforting. It’s a perfect cold day recipe!
If you are looking for a quick, comforting dinner recipe that has only a few ingredients, this cheddar rice soup is for you. Cheesy rice and yummy aromatics will make this a dinner recipe that the whole family will love.
How to make this cheddar rice soup with leeks:
This recipe is a breeze to make which makes this recipe great for any day of the week. First, start with ingredients. You only need a few!
- Stock or water
- Cheddar cheese
Fewer than 10 ingredients and you’ll have a creamy, dreamy cheesy rice soup on the table in just over 30 minutes or so.
Start by sautéing the leeks. Then add carrots. Once you’ve sweated the carrots for a few minutes, melt some butter if you like. Add rice along with stock or water and bring to a boil. Let the soup simmer for about 20-30 minutes or until the rice is tender and has absorbed a good amount of the liquid.
From there, simply stir in heavy cream and cheddar and simmer for an additional 5–10 minutes.
Want to customize this recipe? It’s easy! Below are a few suggestions:
- Protein: Add some shredded chicken or crumbled tofu chorizo. You can also use pork chorizo and brown it first and then continue on with the recipe.
- Leeks and carrots: Use any combination of aromatics. Try it with celery, onion, shallot, garlic, or scallions.
- Rice: You can use wild rice, but cooking time will be longer.
Looking for more vegetarian recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Cheddar Rice Soup with Leeks
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 3 small leeks white and light green parts only
- 4 carrots peeled and small-diced
- 2 tablespoons butter optional
- ⅔ cup white rice
- 6 cups water or vegetable stock
- A few splashes of heavy cream optional
- 1 cup sharp cheddar freshly grated; plus more for serving
- Minced chives optional, for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the leeks:
- Remove the tough leafy greens from the leeks and discard. Trim off and discard the roots of the leeks. Slice the bodies of the leek in half lengthwise and rinse under cold water. Peel back the layers to scrub out all of the dirt. Once clean, slice the leeks into thin slices crosswise. You may wish to rinse the slices under cold water again to ensure any grit and dirt have been removed.
Sauté the leeks:
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the leek slices and cook for 5–6 minutes until just beginning to soften.
Cook the carrots:
- Add the carrots and cook for 5–6 minutes more. Season with salt.
Toast the rice:
- If using, melt the butter into the pot and add the rice. Cook the rice in the melted butter, tossing to coat, for 1–2 minutes until it toasts slightly.
Simmer the soup:
- Pour in the stock or water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20–30 minutes or until the rice is very tender and has absorbed most of the liquid. Taste and season once more with salt and pepper.
Finish the soup:
- Stir in the heavy cream and cheddar cheese. Simmer an additional 5–10 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with minced chives and more grated cheddar, if you like. Enjoy!