These eggnog cupcakes with eggnog buttercream are the perfect holiday sweet to bring to any party. Booze them up with a splash of rum in the buttercream!Jump to Recipe
These eggnog cupcakes are so delicious and spiced with a wonderful eggnog flavor. They are perfect for the holidays and will get you feeling cozy by the fire.
If you want to make these adult-friendly, add a splash (or three!) of rum to the buttercream frosting and add more powdered sugar as needed to get it to the right consistency.
I know eggnog can be a polarizing topic and people either love it or hate it, but these cupcakes will make you the star of any holiday party this year. Despite being called ‘eggnog cupcakes’, the spiced flavor will be tasty for anyone – regardless of their opinion on (my favorite) wintry drink!
If you decide to take these to your holiday parties this year, please drop me a line in the comments or tag me on Instagram to let me know how they turned out! They are so easy to prepare and I know they will be a hit wherever you decide to take them. Everyone who tried them fell in love with the light buttercream and all of the delicious wintry flavors.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out a few of my other favorite dessert recipes!
Eggnog Cupcakes with Eggnog Buttercream
- Mixing Bowls
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup eggnog
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick of butter softened
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup eggnog
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar plus more if needed
Prepare the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Combine the Wet Ingredients:
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg to the butter and sugar and whip until smooth. Add the second egg and whip until smooth. Pour in the eggnog and vanilla and blend until a smooth batter forms.
Sift the Dry Ingredients:
- In a second bowl, sift together all the remaining dry ingredients and set aside.
Finish the Cupcake Batter:
- Fold in the bowl of dry ingredients and mix for 1-2 minutes until just combined and smooth. Do not over-mix the batter (otherwise the cupcakes will fall in while baking).
- Pour the batter into a lined cupcake tins, filling each cupcake liner 3/4 full with batter.
Bake the Eggnog Cupcakes:
- Transfer to the oven for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove and let cool completely.
Prepare the Eggnog Buttercream:
- In a bowl, whip together everything except the powdered sugar until smooth.
- Sift the powdered sugar into the mixture, one cup at a time, whipping after each addition until the buttercream reaches desired consistency. You can opt for a softer consistency for a more firm texture, depending on preference.
Ice the Cupcakes:
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, transfer the buttercream to a piping bag and ice the cupcakes. Dust with powdered nutmeg and enjoy!