This haldi masala chicken salad is the best recipe when you’re craving spicy chicken on your salad. This simple salad recipe is loaded with roasted broccoli and spicy chicken thighs, and it’s finished with a gorgeous raita-style sauce.
What is haldi masala?
Let’s talk spices, first! Specifically, masalas. What is masala? Masala is the Hindi word for spice and refers to any number of spices used for cooking different dishes. You’ve probably heard of garam masala, which translates to “hot spices.” This translation refers to the warming, pungent undertones of garam masala. Kohinoor has a great resource for all kinds of masalas you can make at home, like garam masala, chaat masala, and chana masala!
So, what is haldi masala? Haldi translates to turmeric, so this is a turmeric-forward spice blend. It may be more difficult to source from your local grocery store. The haldi masala used in this recipe was actually gifted to me by the maker, Spicemode. His masala uses turmeric, chile flakes, and a special blend of coarsely ground spices.
You could also use your favorite curry powder. A hot Madras curry powder will be closest to what I used in this recipe. But most spice blends will work here. Garam masala would also be delicious! I find a spicy blend works really well for this dish. The spicy chicken thighs pair perfectly with the raita-inspired sauce.
How to make this haldi masala chicken salad:
This salad is such a breeze to make, and it’s perfect for lunch or dinner!
Here’s what you need:
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Haldi masala or your favorite curry powder or garam masala
- Broccoli florets
- Red onion
- Greek yogurt
- English cucumber
- Salad greens
To make it, here’s what you do:
Step 1: Season the chicken all over with the spice blend, salt, pepper, and a little oil. Fry them up until golden brown all over.
Step 2: Throw the broccoli and red onion in the skillet and season with salt, pepper, and spices. Arrange the skillet so that the chicken is on top of the broccoli. Pop it in the oven! Roast until the chicken reaches 165ºF, about 15 minutes.
Step 3: Make the sauce! Mince up half an English cucumber and a bit of red onion and mix it in a bowl with yogurt, lemon juice, and water. Season with a big pinch of salt.
Step 4: Make the salad! Slice up the other half of the English cucumber and toss with the salad greens. Add a little drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a big pinch of salt, and use your hands to massage the oil into the greens.
From there, serve it up! Remove the skillet from the oven and slice up the chicken thighs. Divide the greens between bowls and serve the broccoli and sliced chicken on top. Drizzle with the yogurt sauce, and enjoy!
This salad is unbelievably easy to make and would be delicious with toasted naan on the side!
Haldi Masala Chicken Salad
- Ovenproof skillet
Haldi masala chicken:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil, divided
- 1-2 tablespoons haldi masala
- 12 ounces broccoli florets
- ½ red onion, sliced into wedges
- Salt and pepper
- 5.3 ounces Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons red onion, minced
- ½ English cucumber, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ cup water plus more for thinning it out
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 ounces salad greens
- ½ English cucumber, sliced
Prepare the chicken:
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a bowl, combine chicken thighs and 1 tablespoon oil. Add half the haldi masala and season all over with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high. Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes without moving. Flip and add broccoli and sliced red onion on top. Season with remaining haldi masala and a big pinch of salt. Arrange the skillet so that the chicken is on top of the broccoli.
- Transfer to the oven for 12-15 minutes until broccoli is tender crisp and chicken reaches 165°F. Remove from oven and set aside.
Prepare the sauce:
- Make the sauce by whisking yogurt, minced red onion, minced cucumber, lemon juice, and water in a bowl. Season with a big pinch of salt.
Dress the greens:
- Combine salad greens and sliced cucumber in a large bowl. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Slice the chicken thighs. Divide salad greens between bowls. Pile the chicken and broccoli on top and drizzle with yogurt sauce. Serve with more lemon on the side if you like. Enjoy!