Served alongside pasta or chicken, this roasted broccoli and spinach recipe might be your new go-to side dish.
This roasted broccoli hardly needs an introduction. It’s easy and quick to make, and it pairs perfectly with pasta or with chicken or steak. It would also be delicious with seared salmon.
How to make this roasted broccoli and spinach:
You need just a few ingredients for this broccoli side dish recipe, including:
- Fresh broccoli
- Olive oil
- Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper
- Fresh spinach
- Parmesan cheese
- Minced parsley
- Salt and pepper
That’s it! It makes for the meanest, greenest side dish. There are just a few simple steps to make this roasted broccoli side:
- Step 1: Add the broccoli to a baking sheet. Coat the broccoli in a bit of olive oil and season with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper. Transfer to the oven for about 20 minutes, flipping once midway through cooking.
- Step 2: Remove the baking sheet from the oven and pile the spinach on top. Add the juice from half a lemon and transfer to the oven for 5 minutes until just wilted.
- Step 3: Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle the lemon zest, Parmesan cheese, and fresh minced parsley on top.
Roasted Broccoli and Spinach
- Baking sheet
Roast the broccoli:
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Arrange the broccoli on a baking sheet and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and a pinch of crushed red pepper to taste. Toss to coat and transfer to the oven for 20 minutes, flipping once midway through cooking. The broccoli should be nicely browned and tender-crisp.
Prep the lemon:
- Use a microplane to grate off 1 teaspoon of lemon zest from the lemon. Cut the lemon in half. Cut half of the lemon into four wedges for serving and juice the other half. Set aside.
Roast the spinach:
- Remove the broccoli from the oven and arrange the baby spinach on top. Season the spinach lightly with salt and add the lemon juice. Return the baking sheet to the oven for 5 minutes or until the spinach is bright green and wilted. Remove from the oven.
- Transfer the broccoli and spinach to a serving platter. Garnish with lemon zest, Parmesan, and freshly minced parsley. Serve with lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!