This spicy pumpkin chickpea puree is an easy and tasty accompaniment to your favorite roasted vegetables, fish, or meat. You’ll love this savory canned pumpkin recipe.
It’s no secret that I’m a huge fan of canned pumpkin puree. Canned pumpkin is great because it still has a lot of nutrients, like potassium, vitamin A, and iron despite being canned. It’s also relatively low-calorie, so it’s a great, easy way to amp up your favorite fall recipes with minimal effort.
For this recipe, I create a simple pumpkin chickpea puree. I load it up with matbucha, a Middle Eastern tomato condiment.
For this savory canned pumpkin recipe, you can use your favorite chili paste or hot spice mixture to flavor the puree. I recommend harissa, matbucha, or sambal oolek. You can even try this with a blend of chili powder, cayenne powder, and sweet paprika.
How to make this spicy pumpkin chickpea puree:
First, sauté a diced onion and then add chickpeas. Next, add a can of pumpkin puree and your chili paste of choice.
Add water and then simmer the mixture for about 20–25 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and then add coconut milk. Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture until smooth and creamy.
As the mixture simmers, prepare your favorite roasted protein or vegetable. I served mine with roasted mushrooms and Brussels sprouts!
Looking for more vegan recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed.
Spicy Pumpkin Chickpea Puree
- Medium pot
- Immersion blender
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 15 ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoon matbucha or your favorite chili paste
- ¾ cup water or stock
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roasted meat or vegetables
- Cilantro leaves
Cook the onion:
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 7–9 minutes until it softens and begins to brown. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook the chickpeas and pumpkin:
- Add the chickpeas and toss to coat. Add the pumpkin and matbucha and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pumpkin deepens in color slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
Simmer the pumpkin and chickpeas:
- Pour in the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes until thickened.
- Pour in the coconut milk and taste and season the mixture once more.
Blend the pumpkin and chickpeas:
- Use an immersion blender (or potato masher or food processor) and blend the mixture until smooth. Add in more water or coconut milk until your desired consistency is reached. Taste and season once more to your preferences. Turn off the heat.
- Serve the puree with your favorite roasted meat or vegetables, like Brussels sprouts and mushrooms. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves. Enjoy!