I’ve always been team #ZucchiniBread but these easy chocolate chip zucchini bars are beyond drool-worthy. You can make this recipe into bars or you can make delicious chocolate chip zucchini bread; it’s so versatile!
Zucchini bread is such an amazing summer treat. There always seems to be an abundance of zucchini and this is a great way to use up the zucchini that you just don’t have time to get to.
For this easy chocolate chip zucchini bars recipe, I used up 4 medium zucchini and made a 9×12 tray of zucchini bars. You can divide the batter between loaf pans and make chocolate chip zucchini bread, but you may need to adjust the cooktime.
Fortunately, these chocolate chip zucchini bars are very forgiving! You can make them into loaves or muffins or you can use a larger tray and make them thinner if you like! They’re so easy to prepare and taste so good.
How to Make Easy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bars:
The concept for these zucchini bars is simple! Just shred the zucchini – either with a box grater or a food processor with a shredding attachment. You do not need to wring the excess water out from the zucchini.
From there, it’s just a matter of preparing a simple batter of eggs, sugar, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Combine that with the shredded zucchini and then add the dry ingredients. Your dry ingredients will be flour, baking soda, baking powder, and a mixture of spices. What I love about zucchini bread is that it’s really easy to modify the flavors depending on your preference. This recipe uses cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. You can also add a touch of allspice or almond extract, or you could even add a bit of orange zest!
No mater how you modify these chocolate zucchini bars, the final product is going to taste amazing, I promise!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Easy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bars
- Large bowl
- Hand mixer
- Box grater
- 10×13 Baking Tray
- 4 medium zucchini trimmed and grated
- 2⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 4½ cups cake flour or AP flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips plus more for topping
- Butter or baking spray for greasing the pan
Start the Zucchini Batter:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9×12 baking pan and set aside.
- Combine the eggs and sugar in a large bowl and whisk with a hand mixer until smooth. Add the vanilla extract, heavy cream, and melted butter and whisk again until smooth.
Sift the Dry Ingredients:
- Sift the flour into a second bowl and add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
Combine the Wet and Dry Ingredients:
- Add the sifted dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients. Use the hand mixer to whisk until just combined. Do not over-mix the flour!
- Fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
Bake the Zucchini Bars:
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Transfer to the oven for 40-50 minutes. Test with a toothpick at 40 minutes. If it doesn't come out clean, bake an additional 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- After the zucchini bars are cooked through, remove from the oven to cool. As soon as you remove from the oven, sprinkle a few additional chocolate chips on top and allow them to melt into the top of the zucchini bars. After the loaf as cooled, slice into bars.