This easy mushroom tomato sauce is made with just five ingredients and is an easy, delicious vegan pasta sauce recipe.
Mushrooms are my favorite thing to add to tomato sauce in lieu of meat. They really shine in this 5-ingredient vegan pasta sauce recipe!
King trumpet mushrooms are very amenable to shredding, making them ideal for a ragu meat substitute. Though, if you can’t find king trumpet mushrooms, any mushroom variety will do. Try this with sliced shiitake caps, thinly sliced cremini, or diced portobello mushrooms. You could even use a blend of foraged mushrooms, like maitake or Blue oyster.
First, you need to shred the king trumpet mushrooms. To start, trim off the base and cut the caps off. The base can be discarded and the caps can be broken into bite-sized pieces.
Next, take the bodies and using a fork or your finger, start from the top and begin peeling from the top of the mushroom body down to the bottom. From there, simply continue on with all Just pretend you’re eating string cheese!
This mushroom pasta sauce is so easy to prepare because of how few ingredients you need. All you need for this recipe is an onion, celery, mushrooms, prepared roasted red bell peppers, and canned tomatoes. Once all of the aromatics and mushrooms are sautéed, simply add blended bell peppers and canned tomatoes. After a long 45-minute simmer, this vegan pasta sauce will be ready for anything.
Looking for more vegetarian recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Easy Mushroom Tomato Sauce
- Large pot
- Food processor
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 4 ribs celery with leaves, diced
- 1 pound king trumpet mushrooms
- 12 ounces roasted red bell peppers
- 2 15- ounce can whole peeled or crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 ounces pasta of choice
- Fresh basil leaves
Cook the aromatics:
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the celery and cook for an additional 6–7 minutes.
Prepare the mushrooms:
- Cut off the bottom half-inch of the mushrooms and discard them. Break the mushroom caps into small pieces. Shred the mushroom bodies into thin strips using a fork or your fingers. Set aside.
Cook the mushrooms:
- Add the mushrooms to the pot and cook for 10 minutes—season with salt and pepper.
Blend the roasted bell peppers:
- Transfer the roasted bell peppers to a food processor and blend until smooth.
Simmer the sauce:
- Pour the roasted bell pepper puree into the sauce. Add the canned tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
Cook the pasta:
- If serving with pasta, cook the pasta according to package instructions while the sauce simmers—reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water.
Sauce the pasta:
- Add the pasta cooking water to the sauce. Add the pasta and toss to coat for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the pasta and mushroom sauce between shallow bowls. Garnish with fresh basil if you like. Enjoy!