This easy one-pot chicken and rice is the best one-pot meal recipe that you need to put in your rotation right now.
Making this recipe is a breeze and it’s very amenable to substitutions and, fortunately, you don’t need many ingredients at all to prepare it.
Similar to my black beans and rice recipe, this one-pot meal is perfect for nights when you just don’t have a lot of time to fuss with dinner. It’s easy, tasty, and delicious.
The best part? The toppings of course! You can customize this one-pot chicken and rice with just about any of your favorite toppings. I did guacamole and golden beet salsa. Try it with fresh tomato salsa, lettuce, cheese, or pickled jalapeños. You could even char some flour tortillas and make tacos with it!
How to make this one-pot chicken and rice recipe:
Making this recipe is a breeze. First, cook an onion and jalapeño until softened. Next, add cubed chicken tenderloins. Cook the chicken until almost cooked through. From there, melt some butter and add some spices and mixed garlic and cook briefly until fragrant.
To finish the dish, simply add white rice and water and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 20–25 minutes until the rice is tender. That’s it! While it simmers, prepare for your favorite toppings and you’re ready to go with the easiest weeknight meal imaginable.
Looking for more chicken recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Easy One-Pot Chicken and Rice
- Large pot
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeño trimmed and minced
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins small-diced; it's easier to dice them when they're still partially frozen
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons Mexican spice seasoning*
- 1 cup white rice
- 2¼ cups water or chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Minced scallions
- Fresh cilantro
Cook the onion and jalapeño:
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and jalapeño and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
Sauté the chicken:
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is almost cooked through, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Bloom the spices:
- Push the chicken to the side of the pot. Melt the butter into the pot. Add the garlic and spices and cook for 45 seconds until fragrant.
- Stir to coat the chicken in the garlic and spices.
Toast the rice:
- Add the rice and stir to evenly distribute everything in the pot. Season lightly with salt and pepper once more and cook for 1–2 minutes to lightly toast the rice.
Simmer the chicken and rice:
- Pour in the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the rice stand for 5 minutes before removing the lid.
- Remove the lid. Taste the rice and season once more to your preferences.
- Divide the chicken and rice between bowls. Serve with cilantro and minced scallions along with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!