This spicy one-skillet chicken and rice is prepared by boiling chicken in an aromatic, garlicky broth. Easy to prepare and loaded with flavors!Jump to Recipe
I absolutely love chicken and rice, but this one-skillet spicy chicken and rice takes it to another level. I load this spicy chicken and rice up with Thai chili peppers – also known as Bird’s Eye Chili Peppers – which can very greatly in heat from pepper to pepper, so be sure to adjust according to your preferences.
If you can’t find Thai chili peppers, replace with serrano peppers or Jalapeño peppers.
For this recipe, I absolutely loved the flavor of this stock. I used chicken breasts, but you can use chicken breasts or thighs depending on your preference. If you want a richer stock for this recipe, use skin-on, bone-in meat as the fat will create a richer flavor profile.
What I loved most about this recipe is how much of it was just throwing a few things together and then going and hanging out for my cat while I let this recipe do its thing. Sometimes simple and easy is really the best! Before you know it, you’ll have a delicious meal ready to go!
I think you will love this easy dinner recipe! If you enjoy it, please tag me on Instagram, so I can see your version of it.
One-Skillet Spicy Chicken and Rice
- Wide pot
Chicken and Stock:
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs, or a mix
- 1 yellow onion peeled and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 4 Thai chili peppers halved
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds lightly crushed between your fingers
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 lemon halved
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup garlic confit Or 4-5 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 3 Thai chili peppers minced
- 1 cup rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For Serving:
- Extra virgin olive oil and minced parsley optional
Prepare the Chicken and Stock:
- Place the chicken in a wide pot and cover with water. Add the yellow onion, crushed garlic, halved chili peppers, black mustard seeds, black peppercorns, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, and lemon halves.
- Cover with water and season liberally with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium and cook for 15-25 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Return the stock to a boil for 10-12 minutes until reduced slightly.
- Pour the stock into a bowl through a fine mesh sieve and discard solids. Wipe out the pot.
Shred the Chicken:
- Once the chicken has cooled slightly, shred the meat with two forks or with your hands. Set aside.
Prepare the Chicken and Rice Base:
- Turn the pan to medium heat and add the garlic confit. Mash the garlic into the pan with a fork. Add the butter. Once melted and frothy, add the mustard seeds and minced Thai chili peppers. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the shredded chicken and cook until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cook the Rice:
- Add 2-3 cups of the reserved stock and scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom (reserve the remaining stock for another use). Bring to a boil and add the rice.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring periodically, until the rice is cooked through. Add more liquid as necessary.
- Remove the lid and cook, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until the liquid is completely absorbed. Taste and season once more.
- Divide the rice between plates and garnish with minced parsley and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, if desired.