This roasted cod with balsamic butter sauce is such an easy, flavorful weeknight meal. This roasted cod recipe is one of my favorites to whip out when I’m in a rut!
This roasted cod recipe is such a midweek stunner that everyone will love. It’s savory and tangy and has just the right amount of sweetness from the lush balsamic butter sauce.
This roasted cod with balsamic butter is so easy to make and brings big flavor, but it comes together pretty quickly!
All you need is:
- Potatoes, cherry tomatoes, and olives for the base
- Cod filets
- Balsamic vinegar
To make this roasted cod recipe, simply roast the vegetables until fork tender and place the cod on top with a little extra virgin olive oil. Roast again until the cod is flaky and cooked through.
As the cod cooks, make the balsamic butter sauce. And if I’m being honest, the balsamic butter is really my favorite part of the entire meal! You just cook down balsamic vinegar until it reduces by half. Then, slowly whisk in cold butter cubes and continue cooking until it reaches a thick, syrupy consistency. If you like it a bit sweeter, add a big pinch of sugar, and the sauce will basically turn into a thick, balsamic caramel!
Looking for more fish recipes? Check my archives!
Roasted Cod with Balsamic Butter
- Small saucepan
- 4 4- ounce cod filets thawed if frozen
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced (or garlic powder)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 pound baby gold potatoes halved
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 6 ounces green olives pitted and torn in half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons cold butter cubed
- Fennel pollen and chili flakes optional for garnish
Prepare the potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a wide pot over medium heat. Add the potatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes and olives and toss to combine. Add the garlic or garlic powder and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Season again with salt and pepper. Arrange the vegetables in an even layer and transfer them to the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
Roast the cod:
- Remove the pot from the oven. Arrange the cod on top and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Return the pot back to the oven and bake for an additional 8-12 minutes until the cod is opaque and flakes easily with a fork.
Prepare the balsamic butter sauce:
- Meanwhile, add the balsamic vinegar to a saucepan and turn the heat to medium-high. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium, and rapid-simmer for 5-7 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Whisk in a few cubes of butter at a time, whisking after each addition, until the sauce is thick and all the butter has been incorporated. Taste and season with salt. Remove from heat.
- Divide the potatoes and tomatoes between shallow bowls and place a cod filet on top. Drizzle with the balsamic butter sauce. Sprinkle with fennel pollen and silk chili if you like. Enjoy!