Sweet, spicy, and loaded with umami flavors, this shichimi miso butter noodle bowl is a great shichimi togarashi recipe if you’re craving an easy, fast noodle bowl recipe.
This shichimi rice noodle bowl is an amazing combination of flavors. This dish combines the umami, fermented flavor of red miso with the fiery heat of shichimi togarashi. It’s all tied together with the sweetness of maple syrup.
I love shichimi togarashi and, in fact, it’s one of my favorite garnishes. In this noodle bowl recipe though, shichimi togarashi isn’t just a garnish. It is core to the entire flavor profile of the rice noodle bowl.
How to make this shichimi miso butter noodle bowl:
This rice noodle bowl recipe is a cinch to prepare. The majority of the ingredients are pantry items and there are plenty of ways to swap things out depending on what you have available.
First, prepare the shichimi miso butter. In a bowl, combine the following:
- Melted butter
- Shichimi togarashi
- Sesame oil
- Yuzu juice (or lime juice or rice vinegar)
- Soy sauce
- Chili oil
- Maple Syrup (or honey or brown sugar)
Next, cook the rice noodles and set them aside. From there, simply sauté the vegetables–starting with mushrooms and onions–until browned. Add the turnips and continue cooking until golden brown all over.
To finish the recipe, pour in the miso butter sauce and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve it up by piling those buttery vegetables over the cooked rice noodles. That’s it!
Looking for more noodle recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed.
Shichimi Miso Butter Noodle Bowl
- Wok or large skillet
Shichimi Miso Butter:
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon shichimi togarashi use less if you have a lower heat tolerance
- 1 tablespoon red miso
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons Yuzu juice or use lime juice or rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili oil optional
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 12 ounces rice noodles
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms caps thinly sliced and stems discarded
- 3/4 pound hakurei turnips greens trimmed and turnips halved, or use diced sweet potato
- Salt and pepper to taste
For serving, optional:
- Microgreens or sliced scallions
- Black sesame seeds
Prepare the shichimi miso butter sauce:
- In a bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients for the miso butter sauce and set aside.
Cook the rice noodles:
- Cook the rice noodles according to package instructions. Drain, rinse, and drizzle with 1 teaspoon sesame oil and set aside.
Prepare the vegetables:
- Heat the neutral oil in a wok or skillet over medium-high. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 6–8 minutes until softened and beginning to brown.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms and cook for an additional 7–8 minutes until golden brown. Continue cooking until the shiitake mushrooms begin to turn golden brown around the edges. Season with salt.
Cook the turnips:
- If needed, add a bit more oil. Add the turnips and cook for 6–8 minutes until the cut sides begin to turn golden brown around the edges. Season lightly with salt.
Simmer the sauce:
- Pour in the shichimi miso butter and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes until thickened. Taste and season to your preferences.
- Divide the cooked noodles between bowls and pile the vegetables and sauce on top. Garnish with microgreens and sesame seeds if desired. Enjoy!