This spicy shrimp risotto is a creamy, spicy, easy dinner recipe that you’re going to love. We don’t skimp on the shrimp in this easy risotto recipe!
This easy risotto recipe makes for an incredible weeknight dinner. We use two pounds of shrimp – half of them chopped up and half of them left whole – to make this a hearty, filling meal.
How to make this Spicy Shrimp Risotto:
To make this recipe, you’ll start with the spicy shrimp base. First, sauté aromatics, starting with a shallot and then garlic. Next, add freshly chopped Roma tomatoes and then a pint of sweet cherry tomatoes. At this stage, I like to melt butter into the tomatoes and let the butter brown a touch. Deglaze the pan with white wine and stock and bring it to a boil.
Continue cooking the broth until it thickens and reduces. While the broth reduces, make the risotto. You only need about 5-7 minutes to cook the shrimp, so cook them during the last few minutes of the risotto.
Once the risotto is about done, add the shrimp to the broth and cook until opaque, but not overcooked.
Before I serve this dish, I like to take a few scoops of the shrimp broth – maybe about 1-2 big spoonfuls – and add it to the risotto and combine. This gives the risotto a beautiful rosy pink color and incorporates the shrimp into the spicy risotto nicely.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy risotto? I loved it with mushrooms when I had it in Italy and I just made an incredible vegan version with a carrot “bolognese” that was also delicious!
Looking for more shrimp recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Spicy Shrimp Risotto
- Wide pot
- Large saucepan
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 4 Roma tomatoes cored and roughly chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter optional
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 2-3 cups chicken or vegetable stock plus more, as needed
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper more or less to taste
- 2 pounds large shrimp peeled and deveined (half chopped, half left whole)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups carnaroli rice or arborio rice (cooking instructions may vary)
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt to taste
For Serving (Optional):
- Dry or fresh minced parsley
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
Start the Spicy Shrimp:
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a wide pot over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for 3-4 minutes until just beginning to soften. Add the garlic and cook for 45 seconds until fragrant.
Cook the Tomatoes:
- Add the chopped tomatoes and the cherry tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes more. Melt the butter into the pot. Once frothy, add the white wine and bring to a boil for 5 minutes to allow the wine to reduce slightly.
Simmer the Broth:
- Add the stock, starting with 2 cups. Season everything in the pot with salt, pepper, thyme, and crushed red pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Adding more stock, as necessary, if too much cooks off. There should be enough broth to coat about 1/4'' of the bottom of the pan, but it should not be soupy.
Cook the Risotto:
- First, warm the chicken stock (either in a small saucepan on the stove or in a large glass measuring cup in the microwave).
- Melt the butter into the large sauce pan over medium heat. Once melted, add the rice and cook, stirring regularly, until it begins to toast and turn golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Ladle 1-2 cups of the broth into the rice and stir regularly. Once the liquid is mostly absorbed (do not let the rice stick), add another 1-2 cups. Continue adding ladles of stock until all of the stock is mostly absorbed and the rice is tender but not mushy, about 16-20 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the rice to rest for 5 minutes. Season with salt.
Cook the Shrimp:
- As the risotto finishes cooking, add the shrimp the broth and turn the heat to medium. Cook for 5-7 minutes until opaque and cooked through. Do not overcook. Turn off the heat and keep warm. Taste and season again to your preferences.
- Add a few ladles of the spicy shrimp to the pot of risotto and stir gently to incorporate. Divide the risotto between plates and pile more spicy shrimp on top. Garnish with parsley and extra virgin olive oil, if desired. Enjoy!