This chicken with creamy beans and greens is a perfect dinner for a chilly night. We finish the creamy beans and greens with a splash of lemon juice.
This chicken with creamy beans and greens is such a wonderful recipe! It is so easy to prepare that you can eat it any night of the week.
All you have to do is sear the chicken quickly. To crisp the chicken skin, cook the chicken, skin-side down and do not move it until the skin crisps. Another tip is to not over-crowd the pan. If the chicken is too close together, it will produce too much water and you’ll end up with soggy chicken. If you’re making 8 chicken thighs, you may need to cook the chicken in batches.
After you browned the chicken, flip them so they are skin-side up. Next, you will roast them until they reach 165ºF. This gives you 30 minutes to prepare the remaining ingredients.
After you’ve removed the chicken from the pan, you’ll first stir-fry the aromatics. Next, you will deglaze the pan, and then add some beans, greens, and cream. A splash of lemon juice and a sprinkle of lemon zest at the end adds brightness to this dish.
If you made this recipe, please rate it and comment below! You can also follow me and share your creations by tagging me! I’d love to feature your #triedandtruerecipes creation on my feed.
Chicken with Creamy Beans and Greens
- 8 skin-on bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 shallot peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter optional
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ cup white wine or chicken stock
- 1 14.5- ounce can cannellini beans drained
- 1 cup chicken stock plus more, if needed
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 small lemon juiced and zested
- ⅓ cup heavy cream more or less to taste
- Oil for frying
- Extra virgin olive oil optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the Chicken
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Pat the chicken dry and season all over with salt and pepper. Heat a slick of oil in a wide pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken thighs, skin-side down, and cook for 5-7 minutes until browned and and crispy.
- Flip the chicken thighs so that they are skin-side up. Transfer to the oven for 25-35 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165ºF on an instant-read thermometer.
Cook the Aromatics:
- Transfer the pan of chicken back to the stove and transfer the cooked chicken thighs to a plate. Cover them with foil to keep them warm.
- Remove all but 1 tablespoon of fat in the pan and turn the pan to medium heat.
- Add the sliced shallot and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring regularly to keep the garlic from burning.
Deglaze the Pan:
- Season the garlic and shallot with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Melt the butter into the aromatics. Once frothy and melted, pour in the white wine and scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom. Bring to a boil.
Add the Beans and Greens:
- Pour the chicken stock into and drained beans into the wine. Bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Add the spinach, lemon zest, and lemon juice and toss to combine.
Broil the Chicken (Optional):
- Turn on the broiler. Place the chicken on top of the spinach and drizzle the skin with a touch of extra virgin olive oil. Transfer to the broiler for 3-5 minutes until the skin is very crispy and browned. Return the pan to the stove and stir in the heavy cream.
- Ladle the creamy beans and greens into shallow bowls and place a chicken thigh on top. Sprinkle with more black pepper, if desired. Enjoy!
If you made this recipe, please rate it below to tell me how you liked it! Please tag me on Instagram so I can see your version of my recipe and feature it on my feed!