Is there any better way to end the week than with a delicious creamy chicken recipe? How about creamy garlic chicken with mushrooms? OR, even better, creamy garlic chicken with mushrooms AND noodles? We think not!
This creamy garlic chicken with mushrooms and noodles is honestly the perfect comfort food. The cream sauce for this creamy chicken is spiked with a touch of mustard and then poured into an aromatic combination of garlic and shallots for an absolutely delicious creamy garlic chicken recipe that the whole family will love. Besides, who doesn’t love a creamy, comforting dinner of chicken with mushrooms?
We make this comforting recipe even better with perfectly prepared al dente egg noodles, although, you can serve this creamy garlic chicken with mashed cauliflower or potatoes!
Preparing the cream base for this chicken with mushrooms recipe ahead of time allows you to control the seasonings without frantically trying to throw all the ingredients into the hot skillet and trying to whisk them together as quickly as you can. Utilizing an oven-safe skillet allows you to use one skillet for the whole recipe so you don’t lose out on any of that flavor-packed fond from the chicken!
And now, on to the recipe!
Creamy Garlic Chicken with Mushrooms and NoodlesPrint Pin Share on Facebook
- Large pot
- Oven-safe skillet
- 16 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 bonless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 shallot peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives minced
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
Cook the noodles:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, add the egg noodles and cook until al dente. Drain and rinse and transfer to a bowl. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil and toss to coat.
Prepare the cream base:
- In a bowl, combine the heavy cream, sour cream, mustards, and salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Chill until ready to use.
Prepare the chicken:
- Pat the chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
- In an oven-safe skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons vegetable oil on medium-high until very hot. Add the chicken and cook for 3-5 minutes per side until very well-browned.
- Transfer to the oven and bake until an instant-read thermometer reaches 165ºF, about 8-10 minutes longer. Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and transfer it back to the stove. Transfer the chicken breasts to a plate and keep warm.
Cook the mushrooms:
- Turn the heat on the skillet back to medium-high and add the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes until well browned. Add the shallot and garlic and cook an additional 2-3 minutes until softened and fragrant.
Prepare the sauce:
- Add the chicken stock to the skillet and scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom. Bring to a boil and cook for 5-6 minutes until reduced slightly. Add the cream base and whisk to incorporate. Add all but a pinch of the fresh herbs and stir to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
Finish the dish:
- After the sauce has simmered, add the noodles and toss to coat and cook for 1-2 minutes more to warm the noodles back up.
- Slice the chicken breasts on an angle and divide the noodles and mushrooms between bowls. Arrange the sliced chicken on top of the noodles and serve with the reserved herbs. Enjoy!