Crispy panko chicken breasts make the perfect accompaniment to salad, pasta, or served on a sandwich with plenty of melted cheese! In this recipe, pan-fried panko chicken is served alongside a simple salad with plump, roasted tomatoes.
Crispy chicken in all forms has always been one of my favorite things. I have a serious soft spot for chicken fries from Burger King, chicken nuggets, tenders, chicken parmigiana. If it involves crispy chicken, then I’m probably going to be a fan.
How to make pan-fried crispy panko chicken breasts:
This crispy panko chicken breast recipe is beyond simple. You need only a handful of ingredients and a super hot skillet to give you the best pan-fried panko chicken ever.
Here’s what you need:
- Thin-sliced chicken breasts: I prefer thinly sliced chicken breasts. You can buy thin-sliced cutlets or you can slice or pound chicken breasts thinly yourself.
- Eggs, Dijon, honey, and cayenne powder: You’ll whisk these together to form the binder to help the panko adhere to the chicken.
- Panko, salt, and pepper: This is the crispy topping. Be sure to press the panko into the chicken and then transfer it to a plate. I like to put the whole plate in the freezer for 5–10 minutes just to help ensure the breading completely adheres to the chicken.
After you the chicken is breaded, fry it up in batches. If using thinly sliced breasts, you’ll only need 3–5 minutes per side. Be sure to check the internal temperature of the chicken to make sure it reaches 165ºF.
For this recipe, I start by roasting cherry tomatoes on one half of a baking sheet. I leave the other half of the baking sheet clear for the chicken. Once the tomatoes begin to blister, turn the heat on the oven to 200ºF. As the chicken cooks, you can place it in the warm oven to hold it.
After the chicken finishes frying, I make a super simple vinaigrette. Because this recipe is for two, I make a small amount of dressing. I use just a tablespoon of oil, juice from one lemon, a pinch of sugar, and salt and pepper for the dressing. I don’t find it necessary to make a whole big batch of dressing. Plus, the roasted tomatoes impart a lot of flavor into the salad!w
Crispy Panko Chicken Breasts
- Baking sheet
- Large skillet
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup neutral oil , plus 1 tablespoon neutral oil, divided
- 1 pound thinly sliced chicken breast
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup panko
- 1 lemon , juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of sugar , optional
- 2 cups arugula
- ½ English cucumber
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- Shaved Parmesan , for serving
Roast the tomatoes:
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Toss the cherry tomatoes in 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper on half of a roasting pan (leaving the other half cleared for the chicken). Transfer to the oven for 15–20 minutes.
Bread the chicken:
- Whisk the eggs with honey, Dijon mustard, cayenne powder, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- In another shallow bowl, combine the panko with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Dip the chicken breasts into the egg mixture, shaking off the excess, and then into the panko, pressing the panko into the chicken to ensure it adheres. Transfer to a plate and place in the freezer for 5–10 minutes.
Fry the chicken:
- Heat ¼ cup of neutral oil over medium-high in a large skillet until very hot. Add the chicken, cooking in batches if needed to avoid over-crowding the skillet.
- Cook for 4–5 minutes per side until well browned all over. Check the temperature to ensure that the breasts have reached 165ºF.
- Reduce the heat in the oven to 200ºF and transfer the breasts to the other half of the roasting pan to keep warm.
Prepare the salad:
- In a medium bowl, combine the lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of olive oil and whisk until smooth. Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar if desired. Toss the arugula and sliced cucumber in the dressing. Tear the basil leaves and gently toss them with the arugula and cucumber. Set aside
- Divide the dressed salad between plates and arrange a few roasted tomatoes and the shaved parmesan. Serve with crispy chicken breasts on the side. Enjoy!