What’s not to love about basil and beans together? This easy basil beans recipe is absolutely perfect for a quick summery vegan dinner recipe.
For this recipe, you only need five core ingredients, including:
- 1 cup loosely packed basil, or use a mix of herbs and greens like basil, mint, parsley, spinach, or arugula
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, or use your favorite nut, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil plus 1 tablespoon for sautéing
- 2 15-ounce cans of white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
You’ll also need water and salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. The crushed red pepper is optional but I like a little heat with mine!
How to make this easy basil beans recipe:
When I say this easy vegan dinner recipe is EASY, I mean it! All you need is a food processor and a pot. No food processor? Use a mortar and pestle. If you have neither, you can smash the almonds in a gallon bag with a heavy-bottomed pot or a rolling pin and then finely mince everything else. You may not get an evenly, smooth pesto but it’ll still be delicious!
Once the pesto is prepared, simply simmer the beans and the onion in a little oil and water. Cook them for about 20 minutes until thickened.
Once thickened, taste and add more salt and pepper and crushed red pepper, if you like.
To finish it up, simply stir in the homemade pesto and turn off the heat. Let stand a few minutes and then serve it up! I like to serve these with more extra virgin olive oil drizzled on top and a handful of the slivered almonds, too.
Easy Basil Beans Recipe
- Food processor
- Large pot
- 1 cup loosely packed basil or use a mix of herbs and greens like basil, mint, parsley, spinach, or arugula
- ½ cup slivered almonds or use your favorite nut, plus more for serving
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil plus 1 tablespoon for sautéing
- 2 15- ounce cans white beans drained and rinsed
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 3 cups water divided
- Salt pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste
Make the pesto:
- Add the basil to a food processor and pulse until minced. Add the almonds and a big pinch of salt and blend until a paste forms.
- Add the extra virgin olive and pulse until completely incorporated. Add a few splashes of water and pulse after each addition until desired consistency is reached. You want it to be thick, but pourable. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Stew the beans:
- Heat 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5–6 minutes until it begins to soften. Add the beans and season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes until thickened. taste and season with salt, pepper, and more crushed red pepper if you like.
Finish the beans:
- Pour the pesto into the beans and turn off the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes and season once more to taste.
- Ladle the beans into bowls and garnish with more basil leaves and slivered almonds on top. Enjoy!