If you want straight, decadent comfort food, this is the recipe for you. This is a simple recipe of sirloin and mashed potatoes. But for a different spin, I made ghost pepper-crusted steak and I upped the ante with a side of three-cheese mashed potatoes.
The ghost pepper-crusted steak is all sorts of spicy and the three-cheese mashed potatoes help control some of the heat from the steak.
For the steak, we used Preservation & Co’s ghost pepper salt and it was spicy as all get-out. I used to be able to handle spicy foods pretty well but I gotta be honest, I was heading straight for the Tums right after this. It wasn’t too spicy for my husband, but he can handle the heat a bit better than me.
Ghost Pepper Crusted Steak and Three-Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- Baking sheet
- Wire rack
- Large pot
Ghost Pepper Crusted Sirloin:
- 1½ pound sirloin steak
- Ghost pepper salt or any other flavored salt of your choosing or use regular salt.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Special equipment: Aluminum foil baking sheet, and baking rack
Three Cheese Mashed Potatoes:
- 5 medium Yukon gold potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup half-and-half or heavy cream, may need more depending on desired consistency
- ½ cup ricotta cheese strained, preferably
- ⅓ cup white shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced chives
- Garlic powder paprika, and cayenne powder to taste
Prepare the Ghost Pepper Crusted Steak:
- Preheat the oven to 275ºF. Pat the sirloin dry and season all over with the ghost pepper salt and the pepper. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the baking rack on top. Place the steak on the rack and transfer to the oven.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes.
- At the 35 minute mark, begin taking the internal temperature of the steak. Cook until desired internal temperature is reached, 130º-135ºF for medium-rare. Remove from the oven, leaving the oven on. Cover loosely with foil and rest for 15 minutes.
Prepare the Three-Cheese Mashed Potatoes:
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into large cubes. Transfer to a large pot and cover with water and add 1 teaspoon salt.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 20-25 minutes. Drain. Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl with the butter, half-and-half, ricotta cheese, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, and half the minced chives. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until smooth, adding more half-and-half if necessary until desired consistency is reached.
- Taste and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and a touch of cayenne powder if desired. Pour the mixture into an oven-safe casserole dish and transfer to the warm oven as you finish the steak.
Sear the Steak:
- After the steak has finished resting, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-high until melted and frothy. Sear the steak for 1 minute per side and transfer to a cutting board to slice.
- Sprinkle the remaining minced chives over the warm potatoes. Divide the mashed potatoes between bowls and serve with the sliced steak. Enjoy!