This low-calorie breakfast recipe only takes about 15-20 minutes to whip up before you’re ready to enjoy a filling meal of soft scrambled eggs with stewed peppers.
I’ve reached the point in quarantine where I’ve needed to take a step back and actually look at what I’m eating. Is anyone else at that point? I’ve decided to start doing MyFitnessPal, so if you’re looking to have a weight loss partner, feel free to add me!
How to make these Scrambled Eggs with Stewed Peppers:
This low-calorie breakfast recipe is super easy to make. You’ll start by sautéing your vegetables and aromatics until they begin to soften. Next, add a big ripe, chopped tomato and let it simmer for about 10-12 minutes until softened.
While the vegetables are simmering, make the soft scrambled eggs. The key to soft scrambled eggs is to cook on really low heat and turn them infrequently and gently. Once they begin to set up, turn off the heat and let the residual heat from the pan finish cooking them. You’ll end up with perfectly cooked scrambled eggs that won’t be tough at all!
Looking for more vegetarian recipes? Check my archives!
If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! If you take a picture of it, please tag me on Instagram so I can feature you in my feed!
Scrambled Eggs with Stewed Peppers
- 2 Medium Skillets
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- ½ onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 green or red bell pepper trimmed, deseeded, and sliced into strips
- 1 red Fresno or jalapeño pepper trimmed and minced
- 1 large, ripe tomato cored and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup water if needed
- ¼ teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Black pepper to taste
- Flaky sea salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
Prepare the Stewed Peppers:
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the onion and pepper and cook, stirring often for 5 minutes until they begin to char slightly.
- Add the minced jalapeño and the tomato and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add water, if needed and reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and season again to your preferences.
Prepare the Soft Scrambled Eggs:
- Combine the eggs, salt, and cream in a bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over low heat. Once hot, pour in the eggs. Allow them to set up for 3-4 minutes before using a rubber spatula to gently pull the eggs toward the center, turning them into large curds. Continue doing this every 1-2 minutes until the eggs are mostly set up into large curds. Turn off the heat and allow the residual heat to set up any excess liquid in the pan.
- Divide the stewed peppers between plates and spoon the soft scrambled eggs on top. Garnish with flaky sea salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, if desired. Enjoy!